2008年6月23日月曜日

ロジャー・クィルター (1877-1953)





「来たれ、死よ」
"Come Away, Death". by Shakespeare.
Twelfth Night, Act II, scene IV

Lyrics:

CLOWN:
Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O, prepare it!
My part of death, no one so true
Did share it.

Not a flower, not a flower sweet
On my black coffin let there be strown;
Not a friend, not a friend greet
My poor corpse, where my bones shall be thrown:
A thousand thousand sighs to save,
Lay me, O, where
Sad true lover never find my grave,
To weep there!

DUKE ORSINO:
There's for thy pains.

CLOWN:
No pains, sir: I take pleasure in singing, sir.

DUKE ORSINO:
I'll pay thy pleasure then.

CLOWN:
Truly, sir, and pleasure will be paid, one time or another.

「今、深紅の花びらは眠り」
"Now Sleeps the Crimson Petal", Poem by Alfred Tennyson (1809-1892)

Lyrics:

Now sleeps the crimson petal, now the white;
Nor waves the cypress in the palace walk;
Nor winks the gold fin in the porphyry font:
The firefly wakens: waken thou with me.

now folds thy lily all her sweetness up
and sinks into the bossom of the lake
so fold thyself, thy dearest thou,
and sink into my bossom
and be lost in me.



// シェークスピアやその他偉大な英国の詩人たちの詩に魅力的なメロディーを付け
た、重要な近代英国の作曲家ロジャー・クィルター[1877-1953]。
// 出典: HMV レビュー

 

 

.